The Monroe County Historical Association maintains the one-room Bell School, located in Hamilton Township, southwest of Stroudsburg.
BELL SCHOOL6183 Cherry Valley Road, Stroudsburg, Pa.
See map below
Open by appointment
NOTE: The historic Bell School is not wheelchair accessible. There are five steps up to the door.
HISTORY OF THE BELL SCHOOLBuilt in the 1870s, the Bell School was used by children who lived within a one-mile radius, and was given its name as the only school in the county with a bell in the cupola on the roof. It remained an operating school until the spring of 1953. The typical one-room brick school house has been restored as an educational museum, with a collection of books, artifacts and pictures recreating the atmosphere of a small school in the late 1880s-early 1900s.
For scheduled group tours, volunteer docents are available during school hours to provide additional information about the school and its pupils. Group tours are available on request.
Back to School: 1924-1925
Summer open houses, class reunion planned at Bell School | Pocono Record | July 4, 2008
- From downtown Stroudsburg, head west on Main Street/Route 209.
- Turn left at the light onto Dreher Avenue, before Stroudsburg High School.
- Continue, bearing left as Dreher Avenue becomes Glenbrook Road.
- Follow Glenbrook Road past Glen Brook Golf Club.
- Continue to the stop sign, then go straight onto Cherry Valley Road.
- The Bell School is down the road, on the right.