The Monroe County Historical Association maintains the one-room Bell School, located in Hamilton Township, southwest of Stroudsburg.
HISTORY OF THE BELL SCHOOLBuilt in the 1870s, the Bell School was used by children who lived within a one-mile radius, and was given its name as the only school in the county with a bell in the cupola on the roof. It remained an operating school until the spring of 1953.
Back to School: 1924-1925
- From downtown Stroudsburg, head west on Main Street/Route 209.
- Turn left at the light onto Dreher Avenue, before Stroudsburg High School.
- Continue, bearing left as Dreher Avenue becomes Glenbrook Road.
- Follow Glenbrook Road past Glen Brook Golf Club.
- Continue to the stop sign, then go straight onto Cherry Valley Road.
- The Bell School is down the road, on the right.