The Monroe County Historical Association maintains the one-room Bell School, located in Hamilton Township, southwest of Stroudsburg.
HISTORY OF THE BELL SCHOOLBuilt in the 1870s, the Bell School was used by children who lived within a one-mile radius, and was given its name as the only school in the county with a bell in the cupola on the roof. It remained an operating school until the spring of 1953.
Back to School: 1924-1925
- From downtown Stroudsburg, head west on Main Street/Route 209.
- Turn left at the light onto Dreher Avenue, before Stroudsburg High School.
- Continue, bearing left as Dreher Avenue becomes Glenbrook Road.
- Follow Glenbrook Road past Glen Brook Golf Club.
- Continue to the stop sign, then go straight onto Cherry Valley Road.
- The Bell School is down the road, on the right.
All text and images from the Monroe County Historical Association website are copyrighted and may not be downloaded, reproduced, published, displayed, printed, or posted elsewhere on the internet for any purpose without permission from the Monroe County Historical Association.