HERITAGE RESOURCE AWARD
Tobyhanna Ice Harvest Event
2071 Lakeside Dr., Tobyhanna (Coolbaugh Township)
Mill Pond #1
From the late 1800s to the early 1900s, ice harvesting was an important industry in Monroe County. This natural resource, used for food preservation, could only be harvested in the winter months. The Pocono region provided many lakes that were essential to ice harvesting industry.
William “Bill” Leonard, Sr. knew that the ice harvesting he remembered as a child would be lost if someone didn’t keep the craft alive. As part of the Coolbaugh Township Bicentennial celebrations, Bill designed and built a small icehouse that was an authentic miniature of the one that existed down the road from the Leonard home.
The icehouse was constructed of hemlock lumber. Eight-inch thick walls were used to house the sawdust insulation. To ensure proper drainage, the floor is gravel and loose planks. Unfortunately, Bill passed away before his true vision could be fulfilled. Friends and family members completed the project and today the Leonard family along with many volunteers, keep the ice harvest tradition alive. The Mill Pond #1 annual ice harvest continues to preserve and keep alive an important part of our Pocono history for future generations to learn from and enjoy
☞Tobyhanna Ice Harvest
PUBLICLY FUNDED PROPERTY
Shawnee Presbyterian Church
1129 Shawnee Church Road, Shawnee-on-Delaware
The church, located in the village of Shawnee, was originally a log structure and was Dutch Reformed. In 1750, the land was conveyed to Nicholas DePui by William Allen of Philadelphia for a Presbyterian Meeting House.
Replacing the log structure, a brick church was built in 1753. The date stones of the builders, Nicholas Depui and Abraham Van Campen, are still located in the foundation of the existing church.
The current brick church was built in 1853 by the descendants of the original builders (DePuy, LaBar, Dietrich, and Bush).
The structure’s architectural details are simple and are typical of the early pre-Civil War period. A rare “sounding board” artifact is preserved in the building. A sounding board was hung above the pulpit to reflect and project the voice of the pastor toward the congregation. The burial ground associated with the church holds most of the prominent settlers in Monroe County. With various styles of grave markers, it is one of the oldest cemeteries in the county
☞Shawnee Presbyterian Church
Jane Maughan Law Office
726 Ann Street, Stroudsburg
This structure is an example of late Federal or Greek revival style architecture. James McCarty, who was born in Milford, PA in 1825, settled in Stroudsburg and purchased the home in 1876. His profession was listed as “engaged in cabinet-making and undertaking.”
Because McCarty made cabinetry, he started making wood caskets by request. In addition to making wooden coffins, McCarty undertook other components of the funeral business. He assisted grieving families with the necessary preparations for a funeral service. He embalmed and prepared the body for viewing at the deceased’s place of residence, he procured a church service, and he secured the burial site. McCarty’s business eventually become the William Clark Funeral home.
This two story brick residence structure was sensitively rehabilitated into legal offices for Jane Maughan. The interior required some modification to accommodate business functions, but a large majority of the details remain apparent in the room layout, walls, wide plank floors, stairways, interior passage doors, moldings, windows, baseboards, and other interesting details.
☞Jane Maughan, P.C.
The Kennedy Residence
1267 Kemmertown Road, Cherry Valley (Hamilton Township)
This home, owned by Gina and Robert Kennedy, is located in Cherry Valley, near the Cherry Valley United Methodist Church where the original owner’s families are buried.
The home is known as the Shaw-McDowell House. The original owner was Peter Shaw and land deeds to the property date back to 1748 when John McDowell bought the land. The home, built in 1824, has cut stone walls, a Federal style fanlight doorway, and a barn and out buildings. John McDowell’s daughter, Elizabeth, married Jacob Stroud in 1761 in this house.
The home has been known for its sturdy architecture since it was built, and the Kennedys continue as stewards in preserving an important piece of Monroe County’s history.