Residential Property | The Drake/Wagner Home
Mr. Brian Crawford and Mr. Scott Bartolacci
Analomink Street, East Stroudsburg
Originally constructed in 1900 by the Drake family, this beautiful Queen Anne-style home features design concepts typical of that period, including stained glass, a large wraparound porch and ornate exterior woodwork.
This home has only been occupied by four owners in its 115 years. The Drake family inhabited the home from 1900-1937, raising two boys whose “growth chart” can still be found on the attic walls. The Wagner family followed, living in the home from 1937-1999. During this time, they raised three children, all of whom attended East Stroudsburg High School, where Mrs. Wagner was a teacher. From 1999 until 2004 it housed several sorority sisters attending East Stroudsburg University.
The current owners, Brian Crawford and Scott Bartolacci, have lovingly restored both the exterior and interior of the home. The wood siding has since been restored, and a new slate and copper roof has been added.
Nonprofit/Publicly Funded Property
The Friendly Community Center
Route 390, Barrett Township
Located in Mountainhome, the former Barrett Friendly Library is a wonderful example of what is known as vernacular architecture, a category based on local needs, construction materials, and reflecting local traditions. The original stone structure was built in 1912. In addition to its stone façade, native materials such as a slate roof, wood beams and yellow pine flooring create a rustic look in keeping with the surrounding landscape.
Founded by citizens of Buck Hill Falls in 1909, The Barrett Friendly Library was constructed on land donated by the Schaffer family. A crew of men from the Buck Hill Falls Company, supervised by Dr. Albert Vernoy, completed the original building in 1913.
In 1965, an addition was built in order to accommodate the growing community, and it continued to be used as a library until 2008, when a new Barrett Paradise Friendly Library was constructed on Route 191.
The old building is now used as The Friendly Community Center, which opened in 2014 and just completed its first full year of operation. The center serves all of the community with programs for older adults and families.
☞The Friendly Community Center
Commercial Property | Weitzmann, Weitzmann & Huffman, LLC
700 Monroe Street, Stroudsburg
This building, located in Stroudsburg’s Courthouse Square, dates back to 1873. During renovations a cornerstone that had previously been painted over was discovered. It referred to the building’s original owner, Jesse Albert ,who served as “overseer of the poor.” It is believed that Mr. Albert invited needy residents to stay temporarily.
After years of neglect, the building has been restored to harmoniously incorporate historic elements while remaining functional for modern day. The original entry doors have been refurbished and structurally repaired. The porch railings had to be removed, however new ones were constructed to replicate the originals.
The interior of the building has largely been preserved. Existing hardwood floors were sanded and stained on the first floor. Nineteenth century door hardware remains, room dividing window panes were retained, and a unique decorative iron radiator was refurbished in the entrance hallway. The main staircase, which had been carpeted, was stripped and stained to showcase the woodworking details.
☞Weitzmann, Weitzmann & Huffman LLC
Heritage Research Award
Jonas Bake Oven Preservation:
Polk Township Historical Society
The Jonas Bake Oven was built around 1790 in an area of Monroe County once known as New Mechanicsville. In 1859, Jonas Snyder purchased 120 acres of property which included a small corner hotel, where the bake oven was located, that had been a stagecoach stop since the late 1700s.
In 2005, the oven was donated to the Polk Township Historical Society. In the spring of 2010, the oven was moved to its new home at the West End Fairgrounds in Gilbert. It has since been restored and a new building has been constructed to house this large, open hearth bake oven.
In August 2014, the oven was used to bake bread for the first time in many years when it was fired during the annual the West End Fair. Beside annual use during the fair, future plans for the oven include exhibiting it during other functions at the fairgrounds and offering private educational opportunities upon request for those interested, including schools and scout groups.