Residential Property | Brinton Cottage, Michael & Carol McGuinness, Pocono Township
This classic Arts and Crafts ‘chalet’-style home was built in 1926 by local craftsmen using local materials for Walter Brinton, a Philadelphia Quaker.
Brinton built the home in the budding Quaker community at Pocono Manor as a summer retreat from the busy Philadelphia city life.
The home was purchased in 1994 from Elizabeth Brinton by Michael and Carol McGuinness. Since then, Mr. and Mrs. McGuinness have worked diligently to winterize the home for year -long residence and to restore the home by enhancing the original design and landscaping.
“Brinton Cottage,” like many homes in Pocono Manor, is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The home features hemlock siding, decorative balustrades, a mahogany main porch, and a stone foundation. This home was featured on the Pocono Mountains Lifestyle Home Tour in October 2011.
Publicly Funded Property | Yeisley-Pearce Log Cabin, Smithfield Township
This log cabin, located at Waterfront Park in Smithfield Township, was built in 1795. It is the oldest known log structure in the township.
George A. Yeisley and his family traveled from Easton through Wind Gap to settle in the Marshalls Creek area. The log home he built for his family was originally 32 feet long, 24 feet wide, and one and one-half stories. The first story was divided into a kitchen and living room, and the second floor was an open space. Yeisley raised his 16 children in the home.
In 2004, Sam and Nancy Dailey donated the cabin to Smithfield Township. Township secretary Jacqueline Ocker worked to secure donations for the relocation of the cabin, and on July 30 of that year the building was moved from the Dailey farm to its permanent home at Waterfront Park, located on Twin Falls Road.
☞Smithfield unveils restored 1795 log cabin
Commercial Property | Skytop Lodge, Barrett Township
Skytop Lodge, located in Barrett Township, is a beautiful destination resort that has been recognized by the National Trust for Historic Preservation and as an Historic Hotel of America.
The original building, completed in 1928, consists of five stories featuring 125 guest rooms, a 450-seat dining room, and numerous meeting and recreation rooms.
The entire structure is made of locally-quarried stone taken from the site it was built upon. Interestingly, more stone was quarried than needed to build the structure. The stone was “stored“ at the top of the ski hill and covered with earth.That stone was then used to build the current Conference Center in the same style as the original lodge.
Skytop Lodge features original pine woodwork and pillars, original Palladian windows and closures, original porch doors, and many original stone fireplaces. While the original roof has been replaced, it was done so with native slate.