Residential Property | Varipapa Home
This brick home, located in the historic Academy Hill District of the Borough of Stroudsburg, was built between 1830 and 1858. The original one-room structure was founded by local Quakers and served as the first school in the area for African American children. During the late 1800s, the school became a private family dwelling and a second floor was added. In the 1930s, a rear extension was added to the home. The gambrel roof interestingly features octagonal-shaped roof slates.
In 1989, Daniel and Carol Varipapa purchased the home and have since labored to preserve and enhance the structure by maintaining the historic feel of the Thomas Street residence.
Non-Profit Organization | Christ Hamilton United Lutheran Church
The Christ Hamilton United Lutheran Church in Sciota is referred to as the “mother church” of Lutheran churches in Monroe County. The history of the congregation dates to 1755 and the first headstone in the church’s cemetery dates to 1778. The cornerstone of the church was laid on May 28, 1829, and the church was officially dedicated on November 6-7, 1830. Sermons were delivered in German through the 1850s.
The building, located on Bossardsville Road in Hamilton Township, is a Pennsylvania German stone structure featuring remarkable stained glass windows (replaced only once, in 1929), steeple, and balcony. In 2009, the church went trough an extensive historic restoration project which addressed the maintenance of the steeple, weathervane, windows, and front walkway.
☞Christ Hamilton United Lutheran Church
Commercial Property | The Deer Head Inn
Originally known as the Central House, the Deer Head Inn was built by Samuel Overfield between 1853 and 1865. During the 1930s, it was given its current name.
The four-story building, located in Delaware Water Gap, is a perfect example of Victorian architecture featuring two stories of wrap-around porches, a Mansard roof, and a repainted exterior that accentuates the architecture of the structure. The owners of the Deer Head have maintained the original doors, windows, woodwork and hardwood floors.
The Deer Head Inn is the oldest continuously running jazz club in America, offering live jazz music since the end of WWII. Live recordings have been produced at the Deer Head Inn’s jazz club, and performers have included John Coates, Jr., Al Cohn, Zoot Sims, Stan Getz, Phil Woods, and many more.
☞Deer Head Inn