Monroe County Historical Association

Stroud Mansion Museum & Library • Stroudsburg, Pa.

2009 PEP WINNERS

Pokona Farm
Residential Property | Pokona Farm

The history of this property begins on February 9, 1769, when Jacob Stroud sold the land to Richard Peters. The brick, two-story federal home was erected in 1863. It is estimated that the barn and summer kitchen were built sometime in the early 1880s. The roof is made of slate and tin, and the home maintains the original windows, shutters, and exterior door, and two chimneys. The property includes outbuildings such as a carriage house and a smokehouse, which predate the brick structure. Before becoming a private residence, Pokona Farm operated as a 73-acre boarding house. The Moore family holds the original deed to the property.



Antoine Dutot School & Museum
Non-Profit Organization | Antoine Dutot School & Museum

The Antoine Dutot School and Museum is a two-story brick building built in the middle of the 19th Century. It was originally used as a four-room schoolhouse, and held classes until 1969. After the school ceased to operate, a group of Delaware Water Gap borough residents, who called themselves the Save Our School committee, purchased the building from the Stroudsburg Area School District for $1.

Currently, the lower level features an art gallery that houses rotating art exhibits. The second level is devoted to the history of the schoolhouse,as well as that of Delaware Water Gap, and includes a restored 1930s classroom, and many different local artifacts.



Shawnee Inn & Golf Resort
Commercial Property | The Shawnee Inn and Golf Resort

In 1911, C.C. Worthington, a retired owner of the Worthington Pump Company, built the Buckwood Inn at Shawnee-on-Delaware. Worthington sold the Inn to popular musician, band leader, and radio television personality, Fred Waring in 1943. Waring renamed it The Shawnee Inn and Golf Resort. The Fred Waring Show attracted many celebrity guests to The Shawnee Inn, including Jacky Gleason, Lucile Ball, and President Dwight D. Eisenhower. In 1977, the Kirkwood family bought the property and have maintained it ever since.

The building boasts Spanish influenced architecture, featuring 12 inch think poured concrete walls, terra cotta shingles, white stucco walls, and a large veranda. Currently, The Shawnee Inn and Golf Resort is returning to its roots by utilizing furnishings and décor from the Arts and Crafts period that was popular when the Inn was built.