2008 PEP WINNERS
Residential Property | McGrath Residence
Annaghaboe (ON-an-ha-Bo), or “fields of cows” in Irish, is the property name given to this farmhouse owned by Kevin and Janice McGrath. Built around the first half of the 19th Century in Smithfield Township, the home has been beautifully restored, while maintaining the original stone work windows, trim, and the front and rear doors. In the 1860s, a pin barn and wagon shed were introduced to the property and in 1932 a clapboard carriage house was added. The restoration of this home has included a new kitchen floor made from 100+ year old barn wood, and replacing the fence with wood post and split rails. The McGraths bought the property in 2000.
Non-Profit Organization | Pocono-Jackson Historical Society
Located in what was once known as Jackson Corners, the one-room Appenzell schoolhouse educated grades one through eight from 1840 until 1939. The building features original wall mounted blackboards made from slate, an original hanging light fixture and a cast iron stove which served as the “central heating” for the building. After 1939, the schoolhouse served as a community meeting place as well as a place of worship until St. Mark’s church was built next door. The building passes into the care of the Pocono/Jackson Historical Society in August 2000. Renovations of the old schoolhouse were completed in 2005. The building is open by appointment only.
Commercial Property | Theo. B. Price
The general store was built in Cresco in 1905 by Joseph Swain and was leased by Theo B. Price until Price bought the property in 1912. Over the years, the building has served as a general store, a butcher shop, and a lumber store. The structure is approximately 100 feet long by 40 feet deep with a porch that runs along the front. The interior boasts post-and-beam architecture, a pot belly stove, and a lumber machine invented and patented by Theo B. Price. Interestingly, the building lacks running water as it did in the early 1900s. It is currently a lumber and building supply business, as well as a country store, owned and operated by Mary Ann and Mickey Miller.