2006 PEP WINNERS
Residential Property | Snowbird Farm
This 1890s two-story brick structure was built by Captain George J. Pierce for his family. The original name, Bluebell House, was given by Captain Pierce. Captain Pierce, who was captain of the ship The Alexander Keith, was killed when his crew mutinied. Known as the Hillcrest House during the 1910s, this boarding house accommodated up to 16 people. It is now owned by Robert and Corinne Weseloh of Smithfield Township.
Non-Profit Organization | R.M. Andrews Memorial Building
Built in 1888 by brothers Aaron and Nathan Christman, this Polk Township building was originally a furniture store and funerary. When a third brother Lewis took over, he put an addition onto the back. In 1925, the structure was sold to the Patriotic Order Sons of America. Other groups, such as the Sons of Union Vetrans Civil War and the Women’s Auxilary used the building as well. When the Patriotic Order Sons of America disbanded, the building was sold to Richard and Blanche Strausberger. In 1998, the Strausbergers donated the building to the Polk Township Historical Society. The structure now houses the museum and archives.
Commercial Property | Monroe County Bar Association
Located at 913 Main Street, Stroudsburg, this building as built in the early 1900s for John Kern. The architectural style is transition from Queen Anne to Colonial Revival. Starting in 1947, the building was used for the Monroe County Public Library, and was renovated to become home to the Monroe County Bar Association. Some of the features in the house are original to the original house. These features include leaded glass windows, stained glass windows and shutters, pocket doors, and railing.