E. E. Norton: His story versus history

Civil War veteran Emery E. Norton was a legend in his own time, and the tales he told about his own service were certainly exciting. His stories, however rousing they may have been and however embellished they may have become, do not altogether match the history presented by his service record. Read More...

Happy 200th Birthday, Stroudsburg!

The Borough of Stroudsburg’s history began in 1730 as Peter LaBar established his homestead, a log cabin, on the corner of present-day Main and Ninth Streets. Unfortunately, the log cabin is no longer standing. It was not until decades later, when Jacob Stroud purchased land in the area, that Stroudsburg emerged as a developed town. Read More...

Stroud Theater born out of an idea of an opera house

In 1910, several citizens of the Stroudsburg community created the Stroudsburg Industrial Club to “cultivate the social side, as well as to look after the business welfare of our town. The idea being to rent and furnish suitable quarters, where the members can meet for recreation or business.” Within a year’s time, the members of the club had come up with their first idea to help better the community. They wanted to erect an opera house within the borough limits of Stroudsburg. Read More...

30,000 gallons of beer in the creek: Stroudsburg Brewery Co.

In 1899, a group of citizens decided that Stroudsburg needed its own brewery to craft local beer. Stockholders formed the Stroudsburg Brewery Company and met to elect officers, choose managers, select a brew-master, and organize and submit the necessary paperwork to Harrisburg to apply for a charter. Read More...

Not-so mysterious tunnels under Stroudsburg’s Main Street

Sorting fact from fiction is common in the field of history. One legend often revived is that of the secret tunnels under Main Street in downtown Stroudsburg. Read More...

Fort Penn played important role in local history

In 1775, Jacob Stroud, a military veteran of the French and Indian War, was placed in charge of the Lower Smithfield Military Company. He began this post at the rank of captain and was ultimately promoted to colonel. One year later, Stroud was ordered by the executive council to build a stockade around his stone home. This fortified structure, which became part of Jacob Stroud’s command, was called Fort Penn. Read More...

Stroudsburg and East Stroudsburg founded in the 1730s

The Borough of Stroudsburg’s history began about 1730, when a diverse group of settlers started to arrive from the area of Kingston, N.Y. Peter LaBar established his homestead, a log cabin, on the corner of present-day Main and Ninth Streets. Unfortunately, the log cabin is no longer standing. It was not until decades later, when Jacob Stroud purchased land in the area, that Stroudsburg emerged as a developed town. The area now known as East Stroudsburg has a rich and early history that dates back to the 18th century. East Stroudsburg was originally named Dansbury after Daniel Brodhead who settled there with his family in 1737. Read More...

History of the Stroudsburg Post Office

The first Post Office in Stroudsburg was created shortly after 1800, with Daniel Stroud serving as postmaster. The first returns were made to Daniel Stroud on April 1, 1803. Over the years, the Post Office was moved to various locations around Stroudsburg. In 1884, it was located at the corner of Main and 7th Streets. By 1915, the building was at 567 Main Street, and in 1928, it was located at 22 South 6th Street. Read More...

History of the Stroudsburg Library

Founding father Benjamin Franklin has many credits to his name: inventor, scientist, author, diplomat, and philosopher. He is also credited with establishing the first library in America. A little over 100 years after the founding of Franklin’s library, and closely following Franklin’s model, 20 well-known Stroudsburg citizens gathered to create the Stroudsburg Library Company. Read More...

A walk on the historic side in Stroudsburg

Many people are planning “‘staycations’ this year,” said Amy Leiser, executive director of Monroe County Historical Association. MCHA could have the answer to this year’s “staycation” plans with the self-guided walking tour brochure, “Stroudsburg Historical Tour.” Read More...

Stroudsburg cannons dedicated to Civil War dead

For 112 years, the cannons in Courthouse Square stood without any marker or plaque to show why they were placed there. On Monday, county officials changed that by dedicating the cannons to the local veterans of the Civil War during a Memorial Day celebration before hundreds of onlookers. Read More...

E.E. Norton: Humble Beginnings, Elegant End


One of the most common inquiries we receive at the Monroe County Historical Association, especially in October, is “Who is buried in that large mausoleum in the Stroudsburg Cemetery?” Read More...

The Smith Family of Stroudsburg

In the archives of the Monroe County Historical Association are photographs of two African American sisters. One photograph is labeled “Laura B. Smith – 8 years old,” and the other is marked with “Florence V. Smith.” These two images have interested me for years, and through CASS’s inquiry for pictures, I was able to research who these two little girls were. Read More...

Converted Quaker Builds Faith in 1800s

The Society of Friends, also known as Quakers, played an influential role in Monroe County’s history. The Quaker presence in Monroe County had its beginnings in Stroudsburg in the early 1800s. Read More...

A. Mitchell Palmer: Red Scare Infamy

A. Mitchell Palmer of Stroudsburg played a role in local, state and national politics that will not be forgotten by history. He was a lawyer, a Congressman, a newspaper owner, and considered as a Democratic presidential candidate. The height of his fame – and infamy — came in his role as U.S. attorney general under President Woodrow Wilson. Read More...

John Summerfield Staples and Abraham Lincoln

The Civil War affected the citizens of Monroe County as it did the nation. Men left their homes, families, and jobs to serve in the Union Army. Joining his fellow citizens, John Summerfield Staples of Stroudsburg fought in the Civil War – and became a celebrity as the official replacement recruit representing President Abraham Lincoln. Read More...

Taking a trip through Stroudsburg history

If you didn't know that downtown Stroudsburg's architecture includes examples of Georgian, Federal, Second Empire, English Gothic Revival and Art Deco styles, you might want to stop by the borough Saturday. If you don't know who Daniel Brodhead, Jacob Stroud, Daniel Stroud, A. Mitchell Palmer, Thomas Kitson, Joseph Wallace or Amzi Wyckoff are, ditto. The Jacob Stroud Corporation and the Monroe County Historical Association will co-host the first Historic Stroudsburg Day beginning at 10 a.m. Saturday in Stroudsburg. Read More...

Tunnels under Stroudsburg’s Main Street

One legend often revived is that of the secret tunnels under Main Street in downtown Stroudsburg. These tunnels exist and are located under the lower portion of Main Street; they were created by an act of nature and the ingenuity of a Stroudsburg business owner. Read More...

Historic church restoration takes big step

STROUDSBURG — The site on Third Street looks like just another construction eyesore. But Robert Hillman, 63, of East Stroudsburg has his own vision what the ground, freshly covered in bits of broken building, looks like. "It's like flowers," Hillman said. "Just to see this going is like heaven, because, I swear, it just seemed like we'd never get it." Read More...

Stroudsburg’s ‘Sheep to Suit’ Record

Thomas Kitson, owner of the Stroudsburg Woolen Mill, had his eye on an unusual prize. He felt he could lower the world-time-record for manufacturing a full suit of clothing, beginning with shearing sheep and ending with someone donning the attire. At the time, the record of 8 hours and 0 minutes was held by a mill in Scotland. On May 18, 1898, Kitson set out to break that record. Read More...

How Stroudsburg Became County Seat

A heated special election in 1836 determined the county seat for the newly formed Monroe County. Three towns were suggested to serve as the new county’s seat: Dutotsburg (now Delaware Water Gap), Kellersville in Hamilton Township, and Stroudsburg. They were all considered and placed on the ballot for a vote by the men of the area. Each town had its merits. Read More...