Founded in 1840s: Brief history of Polk and Jackson townships

Polk Township is located in the western portion of Monroe County and was formed on September 26, 1846, when it was removed from a portion of Chestnuthill Township. The newly-formed township was named for James K. Polk, the 11th president of the United States. Jackson Township was incorporated on December 13, 1843 and was likely named for the seventh president of the United States, Andrew Jackson. Read More...

Gilbert Polytechnic School in Polk Township

From the many one-room school houses active during the earlier years of Monroe County to the colleges and universities of today, the citizens of Monroe County have always had a high regard for education. One such continuing-education school that was important during the end of the 19th and early 20th centuries was the Gilbert Polytechnic Institute, founded in 1886 by Reverend Frank W. Smith. Read More...