Our earliest townships: Smithfield and Hamilton

Smithfield Township was founded in 1748 and is named for John Smith, an early colonist who owned large tracts of land in the area. Hamilton Township was created on Dec. 24, 1762 and is the second-oldest township in Monroe County. Read More...

Old Mill in Sciota

Along Business Route 209 in Hamilton Township stands a mill centuries old. Built by Jacob Brinker in 1730, this old mill was originally a log structure. By 1800, the mill had been replaced by the stone structure which stands today. Jacob Brinker and his mill played an early role in the shaping of America. Read More...

How Stroudsburg Became County Seat

A heated special election in 1836 determined the county seat for the newly formed Monroe County. Three towns were suggested to serve as the new county’s seat: Dutotsburg (now Delaware Water Gap), Kellersville in Hamilton Township, and Stroudsburg. They were all considered and placed on the ballot for a vote by the men of the area. Each town had its merits. Read More...