Railroad tower in East Stroudsburg

Near the corner of Lackawanna and Analomink streets in East Stroudsburg stands a strange, small building located just next to the railroad tracks. With a footprint of only about 15 by 21 feet, the tower stands two stories tall. This is the railroad signal tower. With its many windows in the upper floor, the tower provided a man working inside with a clear view of the tracks. The man could also be easily seen from below, but the structure was private, not open to the public, and perhaps there was a bit of a mystery about what the building was for and why the man was working there. Read More...

East Stroudsburg votes to change its name

At the dawn of the new year in 1923, the residents of the borough of East Stroudsburg were called upon to participate in a special vote. Throughout the preceding year, some individuals felt that the borough of East Stroudsburg was losing its identity and that the “extreme length” of the name, consisting of 15 letters, was burdensome. Read More...

Town clock comes to East Stroudsburg in 1913

On the morning of October 7, 1913, the residents of East Stroudsburg heard the ringing of the bell of their first town clock. Town clocks were a source of pride for many communities, and a number of local businessmen and community leaders worked to ensure that this type of symbolic improvement could be secured for East Stroudsburg Read More...

Stroudsburg and East Stroudsburg founded in the 1730s

The Borough of Stroudsburg’s history began about 1730, when a diverse group of settlers started to arrive from the area of Kingston, N.Y. Peter LaBar established his homestead, a log cabin, on the corner of present-day Main and Ninth Streets. Unfortunately, the log cabin is no longer standing. It was not until decades later, when Jacob Stroud purchased land in the area, that Stroudsburg emerged as a developed town. The area now known as East Stroudsburg has a rich and early history that dates back to the 18th century. East Stroudsburg was originally named Dansbury after Daniel Brodhead who settled there with his family in 1737. Read More...

Dansbury Mission spreads Moravian ideals to East Stroudsburg

Dansbury Mission
The area now known as East Stroudsburg has a rich and early history. East Stroudsburg was settled by the Brodhead family in 1737, while Stroudsburg was not settled until Jacob Stroud purchased his first piece of land in 1769. Read More...

History of the J.S. Bunnell School

During the 1800s, many students attended one-room schoolhouses throughout Monroe County. Students began school in the first grade, and by grade eight, they had completed their education. In 1870, East Stroudsburg School Board officials unanimously voted to establish a high school in the borough for students who wished to continue their education beyond the eighth grade. Read More...

The Liberty Bell Stops In East Stroudsburg

Following its display at the 1915 Panama-Pacific International Expo in San Francisco, the Liberty Bell traveled by rail across the nation, and on Thanksgiving Day, it made a brief stop at the Delaware, Lackawanna and Western railroad station in East Stroudsburg. Read More...